| Vital Records|
Birth, Death & Marriage Records in the Town of Rome
The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for the permanent storage of all vital records (i.e. birth, marriage and death records). Individuals may request certified copies of a vital record from the Clerk’s Office for a fee of:
· $15.00 for the first copy; and
· $6.00 for each additional copy of the same record, done at the same time
Birth Certificates are filed with:
· The City or Town in which the child was born;
· The City or Town in which the mother was living at the time of the birth; and The State Office of Vital Records
Marriage Certificates are filed with:
· The City or Town in which intentions were filed and the license was issued; and The State Office of Vital Records
Death Certificates are filed with:
· The City or Town of residence at the time of death;
· The City or Town where the death occurred; and The State Office of Vital Records
Please see link below for updated vital records laws beginning July 12, 2010.
Requests for certified copies should be made in writing, we have a standard form for your convenience. You will also need to provide a photo ID or photocopy of ID if requesting by mail. Please click on the link below to obtain a request form.
Vital Records requests may be made via the Department of Health and Human Services Web Site at https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/public-health-systems/data-research/vital-records/forms/index.shtml or during regular clerk business hours. Records may not be available during the same business day. Marriage intentions may take one hour or more to complete; appointments are strongly recommended for completing intentions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING A MARRIAGE LICENSE
Maine Residents: at least one party must be a Rome resident.
Out-of-State Couples: can file their intentions in any municipal office.
The process takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
It will be quicker if you access the INTENTION OF MARRIAGE APPLICATION here. This is a fillable form, or you can print it out and complete in black ink.
1) Both parties need to appear at the Town Office with photo ID and file Intentions of Marriage and a Record of Social Security Numbers. The cost of filing is $40 ($20 each).
2) Previous Marriages: If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the death record or divorce decree with a raised seal, whichever ended the previous marriage, must be presented to the clerk prior to the processing of the marriage license. The marriage license will not be issued without the proper record/decree.
A certified copy of a divorce decree may be obtained from the clerk of courts in the county where the divorce was filed. The clerk of courts will certify the document using an embossed seal. Photocopies are not accepted.
A certified copy of a death certificate may be obtained from the clerk in the town/city of the place of death. Photocopies are not accepted.
3) Once the Intentions are filed the clerk will issue a Marriage License which will need to be signed, in person, by both the bride and groom. The parties are free to marry anywhere in the State of Maine. The license is valid for a period of 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.
The marriage license will be completed by the officiant legally qualified to perform a marriage in Maine and signed by two witness. They may give you a photocopy of the document but please note, it is not a legal copy. See below for legal copy information. The officiant is required to file the license within 7 working days of the ceremony, with the clerk where the license was issued.
After the marriage license is filed with the Town Clerk, certified (legal) copies of your marriage license may be obtained at the Town Office during normal business hours for a fee of $15.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for any additional copies done at the same time.
Genealogy Research in the Town of Rome
Birth, marriage and death records for the Town of Rome date back to the late 1700’s, however, they are not a complete listing as prior to 1892 towns were not required to keep a complete recording of events.
Request for genealogical research should be made in writing to:
Town Clerk’s Office
Town of Rome
8 Mercer Road
Rome, Maine 04963
When requesting genealogy information, please include all known information; names, dates and location. If a record is found, there is a fee of $15.00 for a certified copy or $3.00 for a photocopy labeled “NOT FOR LEGAL PURPOSES.”
Specific questions regarding our policy for genealogical research should be directed to the Town Clerk’s Office at (207) 397-4011.
1) Prior to 1892, towns were not required to file records of birth, marriage and death. Some towns have records before 1892, but these are not a complete recording of events.
2) Unsure where the event took place? Begin by contacting the state, they maintain copies of records from every town in Maine.
3) Be sure to check family bibles, city directories, obituaries, old maps, old photographs, town history books, your local historical society and old newspapers for information.
4) State Archives keeps a list of professional genealogists who will provide research for a fee.
5) Contact the Maine State Archives. They have birth, marriage and death records for each town in the state from 1892 – 1922.
Send mail to:
84 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Search Room: (207) 287-5788
State Records Center (207) 287-5792
Visit them on the web:
6) Contact the Office of Vital Statistics. They have birth, marriage and death records for each town in the state from 1923 – Present. They also maintain divorce records from state courts. They will accept credit cards.
Send mail to:
221 State St.
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
Visit them on the web: