About Rome

Rome is situated in the north-westerly part of Kennebec County, 19 miles from Augusta, and 16 miles from Farmington. Vienna lies on the west, Mount Vernon on the west and south, Belgrade lies on the south and east; a portion of Smithfield, in Somerset County, lies on the east of the northern part, and Mercer on the north, and New Sharon in Franklin County on the west of the northern portion. Long Pond, in the southern portion, Great Pond at the south-east, and North Pond at the north-east, take up nearly half the surface area of the township. It was settled about 1780.
Among the early inhabitants were Benjamin Furbush, Tripp Mosher, Stephen Philbrick, Starbird Turner, and Joseph Halbo. These obtained their titles to their lands of Charles Vaughan, R.G. Shaw, Renel Williams.
It was first called West Pond Plantation, but was incorporated under its present name in 1804. Rome sent into the war of the Rebellion 103, and lost about 40. The town is much broken by hills and valleys, but furnishes excellent grazing, and has some superior farms. The principal rock is granite, and the soil in general is gravelly. There are two post-offices – Rome, near the center of town, and Belgrade Mills, at the south-east. The principal manufactures are a saw-mill and a grist-mill.
The Baptists and the Adventists each have a society and a church in the town. Rome has seven schoolhouses, valued at $1,400. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $149,731. In 1880 it was $129,857. The rate of taxation in 1880 is stated as being .003 on one dollar. The population in 1870 was 725. In 1880, the census gave it 606.
History of Rome, Maine
A Gazetteer of the State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B.B. Russell, 57 Cornhill, Boston 1886

2019
Covid 19 Safety 2020
New Rome Sign